Monday, June 08, 2009

DeVine Gardens...Custer, WA

Several months ago Larry and I attended an auction for the Herman Miller 4-H Park www.hermanmiller4hpark.webs.com, which several of our friends support.

We won three auction items that night, two for Larry and the one I wanted really badly, the DeVine Gardens www.devinegardens.com weekly fresh produce. From mid May through the growing season into the fall, we will pick up a twenty pound box of fresh produce every weekend at the Ferndale Farmers Market. I love vegetables and it will be fun to see what we get and how we can use it that week. While Larry is not a vegetable consumer, I am sure he is going to learn to love vegetables and get healthier while he eats them.

Kirk and Jeri Hayes who own DeVine Gardens were busy working in the fields when we first tried to call them to see what we needed to do to arrange to pick up the vegetables. Two weeks ago as we returned from a Harley ride, the market was just closing so we stopped by in full leathers to chat. Kirk said just to drop by on Saturdays or if we wanted, come out to the farm and he would be happy to get us started on our gourmet adventure.

So Saturday I made my first trip to the market and they loaded me up with asparagus, endive, lettuce, onions, garlic, broccoli, and English peas. There is nothing like the smell and taste of fresh, just out of the garden veggies. It reminds me of when I was a child in Oklahoma and my parents always had a small garden that we tended in the evenings after my dad got off work. I fixed a vegetable stir fry with lemon sauce and fried rice for dinner on Saturday night. Michael came out Sunday evening for several bags of vegetables while we were at our small group meeting where we also shared fresh asparagus with our friends. Larry will also take a sampling of veggies to his mother this week.
I can’t wait to see what we get next week and what kind of recipes we find to cook all these vegetables with.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails