Friday, April 21, 2006

Alive: altered forever


Easter. It is a time for celebration, a time for families and friends, and most importantly a time for reflection on what this day really means.

The Easter message at Cornwall Church was, “Alive.” Everything hinges on one event. Three men, three nails, three days. Three questions: 1. Is it true? 2. What does it mean? 3. What will you do?

My God he was, My God he is, My God is always gonna be, are the lyrics from a song, “My Savior My God,” by Aaron Shust. Faith is what this song is all about.

My sister Sharron wore a necklace around her neck with a small mustard seed encased in glass. It was a symbol of her faith and a daily reminder. I remember when I was about six and noticed the new necklace and asked what it was. Suzie was nine years older than I was and she explained that the size of a mustard seed was all the faith we needed to believe in Jesus Christ, son of God.

“Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith like a mustard seed, you can move mountains.” Matthew 17:20. My sister had that faith and she lived it every day of her life.

I have not always walked the life of a Christian since I was baptized at age seven. I strayed during my teens because I didn’t really understand what the church and pastors were preaching. I didn’t really rebel, just drifted off and was lured away from my church by someone proclaiming to believe in God but didn’t practice what he said.

The last time I saw my sister, dying in a hospital room, she prayed that I would return to church and my faith and I held that prayer within me. My oldest son began attending church and was baptized before I realized what I had given up. I finally listened to the Holy Spirit (I only recently learned in church what the Holy Spirit is) within me and began a new life for my children and myself.

God does answer prayers even when we think there is no hope. I believe Jesus Christ has the power to give hope for a life everlasting in heaven.

God used my sister’s faith as an example to me. Attending church is not enough; as a follower of Christ I must be an example to others of God’s love.

After church Larry and I finished preparing dinner for family and friends who would arrive to share the meal. Everyone brought dishes to share and we blessed the food God provided, asked that God watch over loved ones who could not be with us, and thanked God for those gathered around the table to celebrate Easter in Jesus’ name.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails