Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mothers Day 2007


Kelly is in San Diego on her way home to Las Vegas. Michael is in New York City and flying home to Washington tomorrow. Jim and Heather are in California. My mom is in California. Its mother’s day and I’m home alone.

Pastor Bob had a wonderful Sunday morning service about Mothers Day and at times it brought me to tears. All I really wanted in life was to be a mom. I worked but I wasn’t what you call a career person with the college degree and the drive to be vice president of marketing. I worked because I needed the money but most of the time I worked because I needed the friendships I found in my places of employment. My real job, the one that meant everything to me was being a mom.

My kids are perfect because they are my kids, but that doesn’t mean they are perfect. Larry would call that practically perfect. I cried when I found out I was pregnant with each one of them and rejoiced in caring for them in my womb for nine months. I counted fingers and toes and stared at them for hours after they were born, beautiful babies and they were mine. Jim, Michael, and Kelly are each unique and each special. Each different than their siblings and yet they are so similar in so many way. Best friends and bitter enemies at times with each other and then the times they would band together against me if they thought I had wronged one of them.

I wouldn’t trade one day of motherhood, even the bad days for anything else in the world. I loved it when I could kiss my babies and make their skinned knees or elbows feel better. A hug could make their world seem brighter and “I love you” when they went out the door let them know I really did love them, even if the door slammed because they were mad at me. It’s hard to really remember bad times, because there were always so many more good times, times we laughed just being silly, sharing stories, their first days of school, first report cards, learning to drive, their first car, first girlfriend, first boyfriend, graduation from high school, and when they each left home.

It wasn’t until I had an empty nest that I truly understood how much my mother loved me and my siblings. She loved us enough to let us go, knowing in our hearts wherever she was we would be home. Each of my children called to say happy mother’s day and tell me they loved me. I called my mom to tell her how much I loved her and missed her.

The circle of love unbroken between a mother and child even miles apart no matter what the age.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails