Saturday, June 28, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

I just celebrated another birthday, but what does having another birthday really mean? My kids love it because I celebrate my annual 27th birthday. My daughter informed my brother that her mom was twenty-seven and being the accountant he is, said “your mom is fifty-seven”. It’s a number, that’s all. When I had my car accident I lost the left brain accounting skills that had always kept me employed and discovered the right brain artistic part of me that couldn’t quit escape and find freedom until that fateful day.

Now I have a studio filled with all sorts of artistic supplies and a lot of found items that I incorporate into my art. The supplies range from fabric, paint, shrink plastic, fibers, ribbons, metallic powders, paper of every imaginable type and color, tools that curl things and tools to straighten things, soldering irons, travel irons, mosaic tiles, canvas, wood, plastic, it just doesn’t seem to end.

I have a husband who works to support my habit and laughs that I would rather spend hours browsing a craft or thrift store with twenty dollars than shop at Macy’s. I find joy in creating gifts for family and friends especially using family photos of treasured memories. I also love to donate art to help other organizations that benefit my community. If we look deeply within ourselves, we can all find a way to give to the organizations that help care for those in need who can’t always help themselves.

But in my little studio I am working on three little canvases that have my childhood pictures incorporated into them and this will be my gift to me. It is easier for me to use pictures of other family members than to use pictures of myself, so this is also a challenge for me. Maybe it is the reality that when someone looks at those old black and white photos they will see the child still hiding inside of me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails