Friday, April 09, 2010

Macaroni and Tomato Juice Side Dish...Ozark Southern Comfort

When I was little one of my favorite side dishes that my mom would fix for dinner was macaroni with onions and tomato juice. Don’t scrunch up your nose if you have never tried it. In fact I would fill my plate with the pasta and just skip everything else if I could get away with it. This is one of my comfort foods when you live far from family, you are having one of those days, or nothing else sounds good, this is it for me.

I tried fixing it for my kids when they were little, but they are the pasta and butter or white sauce kind of eaters. That was okay with me because then I didn’t have to share and I had leftovers for several days. And yes it is better the next day or the next.

I love tomatoes! Tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, sliced with salt sprinkled on them, on a sandwich, on a hamburger, or whole tomatoes right out of the garden, just rinsed off and ready to enjoy.

Today is one of those days…I’m tired, moving kind of slow, lots of little things to do and not getting them done fast, hungry but don’t really want anything…except mom’s macaroni and tomato juice casserole.

Recipe:

1 pkg. pasta, elbows, bowties, macaroni, your choice

1 large sweet onion

1 - 46 oz. can tomato juice

Salt & pepper

Dice onion finely and add to a 2 qt casserole.

Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Add to casserole.

Add tomato juice to cover, it should not soupy but definitely should not be dry. (You may need to add more tomato juice during cooking).

Salt and pepper to taste. (My grandmother Chloe loved black pepper so I use learned to love pepper at a young age. My friend eggs always had a nice black coating over them. Pepper just makes everything better).

Cover casserole dish and bake at 3250 for 45 minutes. Check during baking time to make sure pasta does not absorb all the tomato juice.

I hope you enjoy this recipe from our simple Missouri Southern roots.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails