Friday, June 16, 2006

Artist Challenge - make a difference



Recently I sold an altered book.  The buyer sent me a sweet note to let me know that my book would be going to what she termed a “girlie-girl” soldier in Iraq.  My buyer makes and buys cards, books, handmade items to send to soldiers serving our country.  We had several wonderful emails and I was amazed at the generosity she has for others.

I kept thinking about what an unselfish thing this person was doing to bring a smile to someone else.   I have two nephews who served in Iraq and my family sent cards and emails to let them know we cared.  How nice it would be to have a complete stranger send a card to say they care.

My challenge to other altered book artists, atc altered trading cards artist, or any artist, is to make and send one card to a soldier.  Go to the website:  http://anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/  and you can click on the list of soldiers to send a card to, you can search for a contact, or you can do a random search.  Can you image how special it would be to receive a handmade altered card and know that someone took the time to create something unique just for you.

Make sure your card will fit in a standard size envelope accepted by the post office, and attach a regular stamp, and make sure your return address is on the envelope.  Include your name and address with the card and if you choose, include your email address.  Write as if this is to a friend you haven’t seen in a long time.  It is suggested that if you are not sending your letter to a specific soldier you address the inside card to ”Dear Soldier.”

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails