Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Dad

My Dad

I wrote this poem for my dad in 2005 for his birthday.  On November 16th, 2006 my dad, Harry O’Neal turned ninety years old and on December 24th 2006, he celebrated sixty-eight years of marriage to my mother, Clella Jewel and on January 18th, 2007 my father passed away.

My dad is the best dad in the whole world
Yes he is, because he’s my dad
He taught me how to fish and roller skate
How to use a hammer and power tools
He loved me enough to let me learn for myself
Then picked me up when I stumbled or fell
He led by example day in and day out
He knew the impact of his actions
Even when I couldn’t see or didn’t want to see
He loved me when I made a wrong choice
The same as when I made the right decision
When I called and said daddy I need help
He always knew just what to do
Never hesitated said I’ll see what I can do
My dad could fix the car, the dishwasher,
Leaky sprinklers, electric cords,
Read Bruce’s loose tooth all over again
And again and again
If the grandchildren said please grandpa
He was a carpenter by trade
Following in his saviors steps
He doesn’t just talk the talk
He walks the walk
Everyday, seven days a week, 365 days a year
My dad, my example

1 comment:

Kim K said...

Dearest Billie,

You remain in my prayers. I pray that God will continue to comfort you and help you heal. I pray that Larry will continue to be a strength in your life. We love you so much. If you need to talk to someone, I'll be glad to listen.

Love, Kim

Related Posts with Thumbnails