Tuesday, September 08, 2009

1 Week...

1 Week – September 8th, 2009

Kyler is one week old today. On the way to the hospital the kids were singing along to the music. When Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” came on they said that this was Kyler’s song and sang along.

When we arrived at the hospital they had removed his lights and a blanket was over the top of the bassinet to block out some of the noise and keep the heat in. He has gained an ounce and now weighs in at 2 pounds almost 13 ounces. He is digesting his milk well and they fed him while we were there. If he keeps progressing this well then they will increase the amount they feed him in several days.

Kyle decided if he was going to read to his son, he would pick the book. He has been reading The Ultimate Athlete, so he started reading to Kyler where he left off from the last time he read from the book.

Kelly changed Kyler’s diaper and then the nurse got him swaddled up so Kelly could hold him. Because the nurses were all busy with another baby, Kelly got to hold Kyler about twice as long as she normally does. She can start kangaroo holding tomorrow (skin to skin). Because Kyler is a preemie, they only like to have him out of his bassinet once a day so he does not get over stimulated. The nurses teased Kyle that he had to change a diaper before Kyler could go home.

If Kyler’s progress continues well, they will remove his air tube in a few days. They have it on the lowest setting now and it is air flow only, not oxygen. His preemie hats we bought for him are still way too big but he needs to wear one when he is out of the bassinet. I think Kyler is doing so well because we visit as much as possible, talking to him, touching him, and reading to him. We have been in and out of the hospital at different times and we haven’t seen other parents spending the amount of time that we do with Kyler.

Before we left, I got to kiss baby Kyler. Such a sweet baby and cute and handsome, and beautiful. Can you tell I’m a grandmother and really really love this baby boy?

Kelly is thinking ahead, knowing I will be going home in a few days. She asked if I could make some casseroles and put them in the refrigerator so they can just warm up food and not worry about cooking for a few days. Then she decided that since I was cooking, could I make special breakfast for her. Special breakfast is an egg, bread, sausage, cheese casserole that my mother made years ago for a holiday breakfast and it became my kid’s favorite breakfast at every major holiday.

We got home from the hospital and I left Kelly and Kyle to rest and I went shopping for food. Kelly requested chicken enchilada casserole, wild rice and chicken casserole, and a ham, broccoli, and rice casserole. I cooked and told the kids to go to the hospital to see their son together.

By the time they had returned I was finishing up putting the last casserole in the refrigerator and the special breakfast was coming out of the oven. The kids decided to eat breakfast for dinner. Somehow I knew Kelly wouldn’t wait till morning.
Kelly and Kyle said that Kyler slept the whole time so they didn’t stay quite as long and will go back tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails