Monday, September 07, 2009

Day 6 and the early morning hours of day 7

Day 6 and part on of day 7

Sunday September 6th, 2009

Kelly and I had planned to get up and go to church with her friends Marissa and Brian. We didn’t wake up until 11:30 AM. I think the sleep did us both good. I fixed Kelly breakfast and we stopped to buy books for Kyler and then drove to the hospital.

The nurses don’t think Kyler has an infection. All his test are coming back negative and it was probably an allergic reaction to the tape. His leg looks better today and this is good news.

Kyler is on his tummy and looks like he is trying to do push-ups. He picks his head almost off the bed and it drops back down exhausted, and goes back to sleep. I read his grandma book to him “Good Night Moon,” and he settled into a deeper slumber.

Today there is only one light left on to give Kyler is Las Vegas tan. We are looking forward to the day when they turn the last light off. Kyler begins to wiggle his butt and stretch. The nurse said Kyler like to keep at least one leg stretched out but sometimes when she checks him, he will have his legs crossed. The first time the nurse brought Kelly to me after she was born and I took the blanket off to check out her fingers and toes, she had her legs crossed. Like mother, like son.

Kelly put her hand into the bassinet and Kyler wrapped his hand around her finger and held on. He reacts to her voice and touch; he knows who his mommy is. Kelly said the hospital treats over 700 babies in the NICU unit every year. This is the only NICU unit in Nevada.

Kyler is finally resting quietly so Kelly and I quietly slip out after she gives him a kiss on the top of his head and one on his cheek, before going home so Kelly can rest and take a nap. We will return in the evening.

I fixed pasta salad for Kelly’s dinner and we were watching TV when the doorbell rang. 10:49 PM and Kyle has arrived home. Not on emergency leave, he is back to stay and will be redeployed in about 6-8 months. For now he is where he needs to be, with his wife and baby. The first tears I have seen Kelly cry since Kyler was born streamed down her face as she wrapped her arms around her husband and gave him a kiss.

Kyle has been up for about 60 hours but wants to see his son. He worked a shift, caught a flight out to Romania, Ireland, Maine, and then Las Vegas. I don’t know if we will ever know who made the final decision to let Kyle return home, but I thank God they understood and let him come home. I am so happy for Kyle, Kelly, and Kyler.

Kyle gave me a hug and a kiss and when he found out we had pasta salad asked if I could just stay and not go home. I told him I didn’t think Larry would let me stay. He showered to get the desert sand off and then we headed off the hospital. Kyle bought gifts in Ireland for Kyler when he had a layover. He is going to be such a good dad. I am lucky to have a son-in-law who loves my daughter and grandson as much as he does.

Monday September 7th

We arrived at the hospital and got our security passes. It is approximately 12:45 AM when Kyle and Kelly scrubbed in and entered the NICU nursery at the hospital. Kyle had the most incredible look on his face as he said hello to his son for the very first time. Kelly had asked me scrub in first so I could already be in the room and take pictures. Seeing Kelly and Kyle standing over the bassinet, both of their hands touching their son, was a prayer answered.

Kyle was overwhelmed seeing his son for the first time, as we all were the first time we saw baby Kyler. Kyler is so perfect, just tiny, that after a few minutes you look past the tubes and only see the baby. Kyler reacted immediately upon hearing his dad voice. He began to squirm around, lift his head and before I left the new parents alone with their son, Kyler opened his eyes.

I went down to the family waiting area and thought as I was sitting there how much I will miss my daily visits with Kyler, watching his progress and growth. I know there is email, photos, and phone calls. How soon will they let me come visit? Wait I’ll be back at the end of the month for the baby shower.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails